DEN @ MIN
– RB Mike Boone
is out (quad), opening things up for possibly more chances for a little volume in a Javonte Williams
debut. Insiders at camp say that Williams and Royce Freeman
should get a good amount of work.
– WR KJ Hamler
has been standing out, but who knows how much playing time he’ll get. One team insider told us a deep, sneaky WR play was Trinity Benson
– Rookie QB Kellen Mond
unlikely to play per Vikings website. Zimmer said one of the other backups, Nate Stanley
, is “hurt” but it’s unclear if he’ll be able to play. If not, it looks like we’ll have some split of Jake Browning
and Danny Etling
– WR Ihmir Smith-Marsette
has been impressive at camp, but has been challenged by Zimmer as a guy who still needs to earn a job, fellow rookie RB Kene Nwangu
is drawing praise from Dalvin Cook
and has the speed/juice to possibly rip off a big play. One team insider told us that Alexander Mattison
was likely to get a good amount of touches and that a WR to watch out for outside of ISM would be KJ Osborn
(possible weather issues, Tropical depression appears to be coming thru)
– Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski revealed that the majority of the team’s starters — including quarterback Baker Mayfield
— won’t be playing against the Jaguars on Saturday.
– If starters are getting rested, that obviously means not much Chubb or Hunt which could mean more run for former UCLA pass-catching standout RB Demetric Felton
who is a RB/WR hybrid, and who could rack up some PPR points via receptions if things go his way; he’s been impressive in camp and was impressive at the Senior Bowl. D’Ernest Johnson
is also on the roster, but has been with the team for a while already.
– WR Donovan Peoples–Jones has been a camp standout, the only question is, how close is he to being considered more of a “starting”-type player who’ll be pulled early?
– Urban Meyer declined Thursday to identify a starter for the team’s preseason opener against Cleveland on Saturday night, and we don’t have any previous history to look at. It’s fair to expect some minimal token playing time for both Trevor Lawrence
and Gardner Minshew
, but likely not a massive amount of volume for either of them or their two backups.
– Jags have 15 WRs on the roster, literally. Picking the right one for this sort of slate is next to impossible, but Byron said after being at camp he’d prefer to roster Laquon Treadwell
or Collin Johnson
if forced to use a JAX player in the WR.
– Is Travis Etienne
explosive enough to take one to the house on any given touch? Of course – the question is, how much will the 2021 first-rounder play? We’ll have a better idea about how Meyer handles this stuff next week. I’m gonna play at least a little Etienne, though.
HOU @ GB
– No interest
– QB Jordan Love
is going to play a lot, and he’s one of the premiere QB plays on the slate for that reason.
– WR Amari Rodgers
is a golden son and would make an excellent pairing mate.
– RB Kylin Hill
(excellent pass-catcher, shallow depth at RB).
NO @ BAL
– Saints coach Sean Payton hasn’t said whether Jameis Winston or Taysom Hill is going to start Saturday per the Athletic. “We typically divide it into three phases. In phase one, it’ll be 18-22 snaps. In phase two, it may be a similar amount. Somewhere in that third quarter is when we’ll go to phase three,” Payton said. “We’re not one hundred percent sure relative to the roster, so there will be some guys that play more than 18 snaps, but I do not want guys to see anywhere north of 29 snaps. Special teams will be split with a first and second half rotation.” Clearly, Hill is the type of player who can bail you out on less playing time moreso than Winston given Hill’s all-around athletic and running profile.
– Michael Thomas
and Tre’Quan Smith
both out, Marquez Callaway
has basically been the WR1, could that mean limited playing time? Team insiders don’t think so as Katherine Terrell is reporting that Callaway, Lil’Jordan Humphrey
and Chris Hogan
will likely “get a lot of reps”. All-Pro KR Deonte Harris
is a player you could roster in hopes he stacks a big day with a kick return plus a couple of receptions as he’s likely to be thrown into extra playing time on offense, himself.
– Of course, TE Adam Trautman
should always be in consideration, but if he’s only likely to get 18-22 snaps (he’s sort of a starter now that Jared Cook
is gone), you could be better off looking elsewhere.
– John Harbaugh is 12-1 in Week 1 of the preseason. On a 17-game preseason win streak.
– Ravens missing four starting OL.
– QBs Trace McSorley
and Tyler Huntley
both likely to get about one half each. Both can run.
– WRs to consider are James Proche
, Devin Duvernay
and Tylan Wallace —
but any of them who are healthy could return value; there could only be seven active WRs on the roster for this entire game.
LAC @ LAR
– Coach Brandon Staley said that Justin Herbert, Derwin James, Austin Ekeler, Keenan Allen, Corey Linsley, Bryan Bulaga, Linval Joseph, and Jared Cook will not play any preseason games.
– No Jared Cook, but seven TEs on the roster and lots of people will probably look at Donald Parham. Tre McKitty was a 2021 RW All-Senior Bowl player, but it’s hard to know which of the large group benefits with most playing time.
– Stafford, Henderson, Ramsey, Donald, etc. (among others) not playing Week 1. “There are probably 35 players not playing in this game for us,” McVay said at his PC.
– McVay has already said that John Wolford
won’t play all preseason, leaving only Duck Hodges
and Bryce Perkins
as the only available QBs.
– Tutu Atwell
has been impressive per Byron, also has double-dip potential with LAR D/ST as a returner, Byron also noted Trishton Jackson
No.83 as a guy to keep an eye on.
– HC Sean McVay not calling plays in Week 1 of the preseason, leaving it to his OC Kevin O’Connell
NYJ @ NYG
– No interest
– Play the NYJ D/ST
CIN @ TB
– Terrible QBs with no Burrow, bad OL.
– Play the TB D/ST
– A couple of notes from an insider who has been in attendance at every Bucs practice of training camp: On who is going to get some run and extra opportunities “Definitely RB Keshawn Vaughn
and WR Jaelon Darden
. WR Josh Pearson
has had a really good camp and should see extra work. RB Troymaine Pope
is a better bet than RB CJ Prosise
– Everyone will probably be on the preseason GOAT TE Tanner Hudson
(who could blame them?) but this source said to keep an eye on TE Codey McElroy
KC @ SF
– TE Noah Gray
(he’s going to play a ton given TE availability for this one).
– QB Trey Lance
is going to play one series, Lance will finish the 1H and is a premier play.
SEA @ LV